Thursday, August 2, 2012

Know your contractor

 A few years ago my wife and I were invited to my son-in-laws moms home for dinner. I noticed two big piles of dirt in the front yard and inquired if she was going to set up a motocross track. "No, my landscaper dumped it and hasn't been back." In talking with her I learned she had given him 3 grand up front and hadn't seen him since, about a month or two. She showed me his contract, which was very basic, the one key element missing was a contractors license number. After a short discussion Jeff called the landscaper and advised him to complete the work within 7 days or he'd call the California State License Board. CSLB. Well fortunately he did follow through and completed the work.
      This could have turned out differently, the guy could have changed his number, skipped town or just told her to pound sand. When looking for a contractor always ask for references, check the license number with the CSLB. This is a simple process, go on their website and check by name or license number. Be sure that it is active and that it is his or hers license, you cannot use another persons license to do business. Also check to see that they carry workmans compensation. Many will claim exempt (meaning they have no employees) then show up with three or four guys.If a contractor carries no WC, the homeowner is then responsible should one of these people gets injured while working on your premises. Be smart check them out. If you deal with licensed contractors you have recourse, with non licensed, it's pretty tough. The CSLB can help in most cases with nonlicensed guys.
    According to CSLB guidelines you should never have to give a contractor more than $1000.00 or 10% of the total contract. Many will ask for up front money, be careful.... Some jobs may require deposit or money for nonrefundable items such as cabinet doors or granite. Be certain to have a paper trail.He said she said doesn't hold up in court, paper will. Most contractors have accounts to buy material, so they don't need money upfront. It is perfectly acceptable to give a check for material when it arrives at the jobsite. You could also do progress payments, that way money goes out when there is something to show for it.
      Not all contractors are crooks. There are alot of good craftsmen out there. Take your time and do some homework. It doesn't take but a few minutes.The first time I had a customer tell me they checked me out with the license board, I wasn't quite sure what to think, did they not trust me, what were they looking for? Now I encourage it. Word of mouth is a great advertiser, satisfied customers are like gold.

1 comment:


  1. Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..

    beds

    ReplyDelete